Bethlehem Lutheran Church has faithfully served the Jacksonville Beach community for over 60 years. Here are some highlights from the church's history. We hope you enjoy the trip back in time... our history is really His-story!
A preliminary survey was made in 1948 to determine the feasibility of establishing a Lutheran Church of the Missouri Synod in Jacksonville Beach. The District assigned Vicar LaVern L. Brack to begin and sustain regular Worship Services. Bethlehem Lutheran Church first met at 431 N. 2nd Avenue, Jacksonville Beach at the Woman’s Club on Feb 20, 1949
March - Rev H. C. Schroeder is installed as pastor of BLC. The first bulletin appeared on May 22, 1949. Nine people were received as Charter Members on October 30, 1949.
January - Pastor Henry Meyer is installed as full-time pastor.
July - Charles S. Mueller is installed and will serve as pastor until 1957.
December - Our congregation voted and accepted the name of Bethlehem. The congregation received as a gift from Sidney and Carolyn Grover (later Mansfield), a block of land in Section A, blocks 111 and 112, located on 8th Avenue North.
October 24 - Was the groundbreaking ceremony for the Parish Hall Chapel at 8th Avenue North, East of Penman Road.
April 3 - Dedication of the church. The building is a blend of contemporary and classical architecture using lime-rock blocks and batten board for its construction, the building seated 200.
November 2 - A new wing was launched. It included one large classroom with restroom facilities and an office and additional seating capacity for 40 persons in the church proper.
February 3 - The new wing was dedicated.
Rev. August F. Gerbhardt is installed and will serve as pastor until 1964.
Rev. Earl Petzold is installed and will serve as pastor until 1968.
June - September - Rev. Robert L. Jackson serves as interim pastor.
October - Rev. John Buchheimer is installed as full-time pastor and will serve 34 years.
October 8th - Dedication of the exterior Lutheran Cross as a memorial to Walter “Pete” Dickinson by his wife, Helen. The cross was designed by Linda Mack and fabricated by Benjamin Futrell, both of Jacksonville Beach.
January 7 - Decommissioning ceremony for the old sanctuary.
August 30 - Dedication of the new Sanctuary. In the spring of 1987 Bethlehem hired Mrs. Mary Jo Hunavy to carry out the office and manage the work to be done and grow the congregation.
Bethlehem Lutheran Preschool was started to provide Christian care to the children of working parents, from ages 1 to 5 years.
October - A vote was taken to renovate the gymnasium into a two story Christian Education Building. The first floor is occupied by the preschool, second floor provides classrooms and a large conference/multi-purpose room.
December 17 - Disciples’ Hall was totally gutted by fire. The Christian Education Building suffered serious smoke and water damage which caused it to be shut down. Reconstruction and renovations in the building took place in 1991.
October 26 - Homecoming Sunday, a ceremony was held in the Courtyard to burn the mortgage. This was a milestone in our congregation.
February - A home at 1337 Palm Circle was purchased with the purpose of converting it into an Independent Living Facility.
Rev. Dana Allen Brones is called to be Assistant Pastor.
2003Rev. Dana Allen Brones is made Senior Pastor.
2004 - 2007
Rev. Robert Jacobs is called and serves as Assistant Pastor.
Rev. Dr. James Balke is hired as Assistant Pastor and continues to serve.
Statue dedicated to memory of Betty Buchheimer. “We wanted to do something for the children of the church...”
Bethlehem starts its vicarage program with its first vicar - Vicar John Rasmussen
March - 1337 Palm Circle home was dedicated to Bethlehem Lutheran Preschool It is currently the home to our 4 year olds program.
2011August - Vicar Tim Barone
is called as Bethlehem's second vicar, and his wife Megan is installed as Minister to Families and Children.
is installed as Bethlehem's third vicar. He joins our family with his wife Sarah and their daughter Kaelyn.